Search doesn't work for me

Feedback, questions or suggestions for QuollEyeTree an XTREE like filemanager for OSX
HBinswanger

Search doesn't work for me

Postby HBinswanger » 25 May 2012 23:30

In QuollTree on LionI can't get the search function to work at all. In the "file specification field" I put, e.g., hb*.* and nothing shows up, even though I'm in the root directory for myself as a user. Finder shows many "hits" for hb.The documentation seems to indicate hb*.* should work in that field. In fact *.* doesn't work, even when I'm logged into the main hard drive on the Mac. Maybe because this is a beta?

ian
Site Admin

Re: Search doesn't work for me

Postby ian » 28 May 2012 11:26

HBinswanger wrote:In QuollTree on LionI can't get the search function to work at all. In the "file specification field" I put, e.g., hb*.* and nothing shows up, even though I'm in the root directory for myself as a user. Finder shows many "hits" for hb.The documentation seems to indicate hb*.* should work in that field. In fact *.* doesn't work, even when I'm logged into the main hard drive on the Mac. Maybe because this is a beta?

The search works slightly differently from Finder.
You need to indicate that the entry is complete, either by pressing Return or clicking on the magnifying glass symbol.
Finder revises its display after each keypress although you still need to complete.

Please let me know if this solves your problem.

QuollEyeTree is beta because it is incomplete although it is very close to release (although there are probably bugs I haven't found).
The Find function has been there since its 1st beta and I use it every day.
I am testing the latest Find which also allows size and date filtering.

The current functionality is modeled on XTREE behaviour, but it would not be difficult change to more closely follow Finder.

HBinswanger

Postby HBinswanger » 28 May 2012 12:19

I enter hb*.* in the search field and hit return (or click on the magnifying glass) and now see only my user folder ("hb"). Under that are all my other folders, which is not helpful: what I want is all the files as well as the folders.

I created hbtest.rtf on the desktop, and the program did find it when set to search the desktop.

ian
Site Admin

Postby ian » 28 May 2012 12:45

HBinswanger wrote:I enter hb*.* in the search field and hit return (or click on the magnifying glass) and now see only my user folder ("hb"). Under that are all my other folders, which is not helpful: what I want is all the files as well as the folders.

I created hbtest.rtf on the desktop, and the program did find it when set to search the desktop.

Possibly you do not understand the function of the File Specification. This is not a Search but a Filter.
To quote from the manual "File Specifications are a means of filtering the files which are displayed in QuollEyeTree. Only files which match the current File Specification are displayed in the File Window."

To follow your example, it you navigate to Desktop you should see all files in Desktop. If you then enter "hb*.*" you will only see the files in Desktop which match.

If you wanted to see all the (logged) files in your Home directory which match you should select Branch display (before or after entering the File Specification.

This is a different way of working from Finder. If you are unused to this it may seem strange, I have been doing it for 35 years.

Incidentally I have already changed the File Specification to File Filter in the latest beta under development.

HBinswanger

Postby HBinswanger » 29 May 2012 00:41

Okay, it does work as you described. I'm coming from the Windows world, and my context is that of Windows Explorer.

My follow-up question is this: suppose I don't know the folder that a file is in (which happens frequently). How do I do a global search or filtering for said file?

E.g., foo.bar is somewhere buried 8 levels deep, and I don't know where. Maybe I'm not even sure about the name. I'd like to be able to enter *foo*.* and find it. Can your program help me with that?

Thank for your responses.

HBinswanger

Postby HBinswanger » 29 May 2012 01:54

I don't know if you got my last reply. It was about how I should search for foo.bar when I don't know what folder it's buried in. Oh, well, in case you didn't, the use I want to make is this. I don't know where foo.bar ist. I don't even know its full and proper name. I want to find it by doing a global search or filtering for *foo*.* -- how do I use your program to do that. This is a problem I have all the time--not knowing where the file is in the directory structure.

ian
Site Admin

Postby ian » 31 May 2012 10:59

HBinswanger wrote:I don't know if you got my last reply. It was about how I should search for foo.bar when I don't know what folder it's buried in. Oh, well, in case you didn't, the use I want to make is this. I don't know where foo.bar ist. I don't even know its full and proper name. I want to find it by doing a global search or filtering for *foo*.* -- how do I use your program to do that. This is a problem I have all the time--not knowing where the file is in the directory structure.

Firstly an apology for the late reply. This is a new BB setup, and in an attempt to stop the spam which bugged my previous BB posts require approval.
Your latest posts did not show up until I scrolled down the list.

I also have come from Windows (just over a year on the Mac). I hated Explorer and used ZTreeWin (and before that XTREE) for all my file management.
QuollEyeTree is my attempt to bring the features I love to the Mac and overcome the limitations of Finder.

QuollEyeTree does not have a search facility as such (I use Spotlight and Finder in those cases where I really don't know where the file is although I often these frustrating).

You can find files in QuollEyeTree if you have a rough idea where it is e.g. in your home directory.
QuollEyeTree only shows logged files, so it is necessary to log the location you wish to search.
This can be done with Option-Right Arrow on the selected directory or Option-click on the expander next to the directory.

If you type 'B' to Enter the Branch Window this will show all your files, and the File Filter can be used to find a subset of these.
The next beta will allow more powerful filtering with dates and sizes.

Selecting one of the resultant files should show the location of the file in the Status box, unfortunately this seems to be broken in 0.13, although it worked in 0.12. Such are the problems of beta software, introducing new features occasionally breaks old code. The Status box was only intended to be temporary, and I had planned to replace it with a Finder style Path bar.
PS I had deleted the Status box in an over-zealous code tidy up. It will be back in the next beta.

HBinswanger

Postby HBinswanger » 01 Jun 2012 04:09

No problem with the short delay in your response. I appreciate the help.

So it seems that to find files, I have to drill down through likely subdirectories. Do I understand that option-rightarrow expands all the folders in the path? It seems not to expand down to the lowest level of folders.

I get the sense that I should read some of the documentation. Help/Documentation doesn't do anything. Help/QuollEyeTree Help brings up a help file though.

ian
Site Admin

Postby ian » 01 Jun 2012 14:31

HBinswanger wrote:So it seems that to find files, I have to drill down through likely subdirectories. Do I understand that option-rightarrow expands all the folders in the path? It seems not to expand down to the lowest level of folders.

Yes. It may take a little time, depending in the Folder (but then so does Finder Search).
I have directories 12 deep in my home folder, and these are OK.
Obviously you need access permission.
I get the sense that I should read some of the documentation. Help/Documentation doesn't do anything. Help/QuollEyeTree Help brings up a help file though.

If you were familiar with the XTREE family you may get away with it, but without reading the documentation you will never understand most of what QuollEyeTree does.

Yes Help/Documentation should open QuollEyeTree.pdf in Preview. This is the same file included in the download image. The Help is substantially the same, but not so easy to read.

I never understand why people won't read documentation. One of my main beefs with OSX is that for most Applications, especially Finder, there is no documentation. Maybe Apple figures people will just try to see what happens.

Return to “QuollEyeTree”