Alan BINNIE

This board is for discussion related to the Binnie family.
ChickenMan

Alan BINNIE

Postby ChickenMan » 20 Aug 2012 00:09

Hi Ian, I have an Alan BINNIE (birth unknown) marrying a Carol Lucille COLLINS on the 16 Feb 1985 at Mt. Dandenong, Victoria. Carol was born 30 Jun 1957 in Benalla, Victoria. Is this Alan BINNIE in your family tree and do you have any data on him, as I have his name only + a marriage date.

Yes, I'm the same Chickenman from the MSPP :)

ian
Site Admin

Re: Alan BINNIE

Postby ian » 20 Aug 2012 13:35

ChickenMan wrote:Hi Ian, I have an Alan BINNIE (birth unknown) marrying a Carol Lucille COLLINS on the 16 Feb 1985 at Mt. Dandenong, Victoria. Carol was born 30 Jun 1957 in Benalla, Victoria. Is this Alan BINNIE in your family tree and do you have any data on him, as I have his name only + a marriage date.

Alan Thomas Binnie was the eldest child of my Uncle Alan Webster Binnie, but I do not know much about this side of the family. The Electoral Roll suggested he was married to a Carol.

One of my cousins told me "I have Alan as married to Carol, divorced Carol, married (or partner) with another Carol and children are Michala and Lachlan plus someone else. And he lives somewhere near the Qld border. That information came from Carmel, daughter of Jeanne."

I found his address, and wrote to him but got no reply.

His sister Jeanne has a basic family tree at http://www.myheritage.com/site-family-t ... nne-cranch but this does not have details of her siblings.

How are you related to Alan?

ChickenMan

Postby ChickenMan » 20 Aug 2012 14:43

Arr so looks like some connection.

Carol COLLINS mother is Heather Hilda HUNTER b:1926 in Wandin Wallock, Victoria 4 years after my mum Joyce HUNTER B;1922 So no direct connection to Alan, only connected to his wife and any children they may have had of course. Joyce and Heather had a common Grandfather.

I'm not a member of MyHeritage so Jeanne's site basically shows me very little.

"...and children are Michala and Lachlan plus someone else." are these from the original Carol or the partnered Carol ? Is there any way for finding that out? I'll have a look in your tree for your Uncle Alan Webster BINNIE. I can give you access to the HUNTER family tree if thats of any use to you also.

Cheers,
Alan

ian
Site Admin

Postby ian » 20 Aug 2012 16:45

Unfortunately it is very difficult to find details of living people, unless you can contact a relative or family record.

The only sources I have found to be useful are Death Notices (esp parents) and the Electoral Roll.

Death Notices are unlikely to be of use in this case.
Alan Webster's lists some family, but not Carol or grandchildren.
See http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... nie&id=I25

Incidentally my RootsWeb site is probably more useful, as it has my whole tree (with details of living people suppressed) and I have transcripts of my sources.

Electoral Rolls can be handy for checking people at the same address, and of course only shows children over 18.

I got an address for Alan Thomas from a letter he wrote to the Archives, which was on my grandfather's WW1 file (this should probably not have been in the file I examined). I verified this from the Electoral Roll and wrote to him, but got no reply.

I have an email for Jeanne Cranch, his sister, and would be prepared to forward a request from you if you wanted to make contact.

ChickenMan

Postby ChickenMan » 20 Aug 2012 20:10

Yes I fully realize its difficult for all recent entries for ones family tree and the only real way is to contact the people involved directly. The Privacy Laws have sealled up so much data for us genuine Genealogists. I have all (almost) the Australian BDM CD's and now most states have searchable databases but NSW would have to be the hardest to search through with little data initially collected. The Argus newspaper (on TROVE) or Sydney Morning Herald Birth/Death are good but not 100%. Cemetery Headstones are good but there is no central search. Like Alan Webster BINNIE died in Ringwood, Victoria (you have Melbourne) but buried 2 days later in Rookwood Necropolis, N.S.W. Search of all the cemeteries around Ringwood or Melbourne would have resulted in Zero.

Yes, would appreciate if you could forward my email addy to Jeanne so we could make contact. You never know where it leads. Many thanks.

Alan

Return to “Genealogy”